Puppy Poems and Other Fun Stuff
The Dog's Ten Commandments
- My life is likely to last 12 to 15+ years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
- Give me time to understand what you want of me.
- Place your trust in me; it is crucial for my well-being.
- Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.
- Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
- Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.
- Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it," or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.
- Dogs are never permitted in the house. The dog stays outside in a ‘specially built wooden compartment named, for very good reason, the dog house.
- Okay, the dog can enter the house, but only for short visits or if his own house is under renovation.
- Okay, the dog can stay in the house on a permanent basis, provided his dog house can be sold in a yard sale to a rookie dog owner.
- Inside the house, the dog is not allowed to run free and is confined to a comfortable but secure metal cage.
- Okay, the cage becomes part of a two-for-one deal along with the dog house in the yard sale, and the dog can go wherever he pleases.
- The dog is never allowed on the furniture
- Okay, the dog can get on the old furniture but not the new furniture.
- Okay, the dog can get up on the new furniture until it looks like the old furniture and then we’ll sell the whole works and buy new furniture.. upon which the dog will most definitely not be allowed.
- The dog never sleeps on the bed. Period.
- Okay, the dog can sleep at the foot of the bed.
- Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you, but he’s not allowed under the covers.
- Okay, the dog can sleep under the covers but not with his head on the pillow.
- Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you under the covers with his head on the pillow, but if he snores he’s got to leave the room.
- Okay, the dog can sleep and snore and have nightmares in bed, but he’s not to come in and sleep on the couch in the TV room, where I’m now sleeping. That’s just not fair.
- The dog never gets listed on the census questionnaire as “primary resident,” even it it’s true.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~~Anonymous
Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful. ~~Ann Landers
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. ~~Josh Billings
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. ~~Andrew A Rooney
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made. ~~M Facklam
Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate. ~~Sigmund Freud
If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons. ~~James Thurber
A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. ~~Robert Benchley
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.~~Will Rogers
Dogs need to sniff the ground; it’s how they keep abreast of current events. The ground is a giant dog newspaper, containing all kinds of late-breaking dog news items, which, if they are especially urgent, are often continued in the next yard. ~~Dave Barry
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~~Franklin P Jones
My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That’s almost $21.00 in dog money. ~~Joe Weinstein
Outside of a dog, a book is probably man’s best friend. ~~Groucho Marx
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face! ~~Ben Williams
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. ~~Robert A Heinlein
IF ALL ELSE FAILS, PET THE DOG!